The Serb set up the breakaway PTPA on the eve of the US Open in September and resigned as head of the player council but last month he confirmed that he had been nominated by his fellow professionals for the current elections which he accepted.
Summary of sports events and persons who made news on Tuesday
The former world number two, Alexander Zverev has repeatedly rejected the claims by his former girlfriend Brenda Patea that she was a victim of bodily harm during an argument in 2020, his lawyers have said.
Former Australian player Brad Drewett was named on Thursday as the new head of the men's governing tennis body the ATP.
Friction has dogged the ATP Player Council, whose president is world number one Novak Djokovic, this year since ATP president Chris Kermode failed to gain support for another term.
The ATP Players Council has proposed the scheduling of a tennis 'World Cup' to provide a less rigorous international competition than the current Davis Cup, Serbian world number three Novak Djokovic said on Wednesday.
Djokovic helped Serbia to a 3-0 victory over Japan in their Group A opener on Wednesday at La Caja Magica where a revamped Davis Cup climax is being contested by 18 nations over seven days.
'I spoke to Roger and Rafa a few days ago and we had a conversation about the near future of tennis. How we can contribute to help lower ranked guys who are obviously struggling the most.'
Australian Open holder Djokovic will make his ATP Cup debut for Serbia against South Africa in Brisbane on Saturday while Nadal will lead Spain into action against Georgia in Perth on the same day.
Djokovic's players body blindsided ATP player council, says Anderson.
American great Billie Jean King had called for a unified governing body for men and women years ago but the 29-year-old Johanna Konta feels Federer's comments have brought attention back to the topic.
Roger Federer's proposal to merge the tours gets thumbs up from top players.
World number one Novak Djokovic had enough on his plate already on Wednesday without marauding Russian Daniil Medvedev pummelling him to a shock 6-3, 6-3 defeat at the ATP Finals.
'Is he serious? It's a selfish political move to gain popularity.'
The claycourt Grand Slam at Roland Garros would now take place from Sept. 20-Oct. 4, dates that clash with several other events. With players already counting the cost of the tennis shutdown, the decision did not go down well.
World number one Novak Djokovic on Wednesday dismissed any suggestion of friction with Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal as tennis politics spilled over to the Miami Open.
'Everybody knows that they could wait a little bit, no? It was an unfortunate decision.'
'They're just trying to shove us on the court because we're qualifiers'
Nadal says Wimbledon ban on Russian and Belarusian players unfair
Novak Djokovic said he would do whatever was required to play at the Australian Open but hoped the government could also be accommodating.
Novak Djokovic announced his resignation as head of the ATP's Player Council and intends to form a new breakaway body to represent athletes -- but his plans have immediately met with stiff resistance from within tennis.
Speaking after a 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 win over Bosnian Damir Dzumhur, Federer said the prize money for players at the top of the sport had improved significantly since he began playing but that was not the case at the other end of the spectrum.
Novak Djokovic's intentions in organising the ill-fated Adria Tour were good but the world number one could have applied a bit more common sense to how the exhibition event was run, former ATP players' council head Vijay Amritraj said. The Serbian has faced fierce criticism after he, Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki contracted COVID-19 following the charity event in Serbia and Croatia.
Nadal's comments follow media reports this week that Novak Djokovic, the president of the Players' Council, had urged players to unionise at a pre-Australian Open meeting and revolt over the way the revenues from the four grand slams are distributed.
Germany's Zverev has described the allegations as "unfounded and untrue" and without any legal investigation the men's ATP Tour would be unlikely to intervene.
India's tennis players -- both current and former -- are not just counting financial losses as they cope with the fallout of the coronavirus pandemic. The closure of the Pro Tour means that doubles exponent Purav Raja is set to lose at least $50,000 in this lockdown period, according to his own assessment. Prajnesh Gunneswaran, Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan and Divij Sharan can't exactly tell how much they would lose but considering the fact that they are consistently in contention to be in Grand Slam main draws, the massive financial hit is not difficult to assess.
'... at times when I see the aftermath of things, I do tend to ask myself if I should just sit back and enjoy my benefits instead of paying attention to other people's struggles.'
Roger Federer called on Wednesday for a merger between the men's ATP Tour and the WTA, which runs the women's circuit, as tennis wades through a lengthy coronavirus shutdown with lower-level professionals in deep financial crisis. The tennis season was suspended in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the hiatus will continue at least until mid-July, depriving lower-level players, who depend solely on tournament winnings, of the chance to earn a living.
Laver Cup organisers say the exhibition event will go ahead in September as planned despite the French Open moving to the same dates as the implications of the French Tennis Federation (FFT)'s shock gambit began to reverberate on Wednesday. The September 25-27 Laver Cup, an exhibition event co-created by Roger Federer which has always featured the Swiss great and one of Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic.
Wimbledon officials on Tuesday said they are continuing plans for the grasscourt major to start on June 29 as scheduled even though French Open organisers postponed the claycourt Grand Slam to September due to the coronavirus pandemic.
On court Novak Djokovic is taking tennis to extraordinary new levels with his single-minded obsession with winning; off it the Serbian is more than happy to share power. The 29-year-old will begin his attempt to win a fourth Wimbledon title on Monday when he plays British wildcard James Ward on Centre Court -- 12 months after claiming a second successive title by beating Roger Federer.
Prize money row rumbling behind scenes at Melbourne Park
Top men's doubles player Jamie Murray has called for an end to the ATP Tour's scoring system in the format and says there is widespread support for it to be changed.
Six-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic has distanced himself from reports that he called for a boycott of next year's tournament unless there was an increase in prize money.
Djokovic received severe backlash for organising the tournament with an audience amid the pandemic.
Tennis must consider shortening matches in a bid to engage with a younger fanbase and avoid losing television viewers, according to former ATP Player Council president and doubles specialist Eric Butorac.
Anderson, a member of the ATP Player Council, said he felt it was a matter of time before the final-set tiebreak came in.
Venus Williams has pulled out of the upcoming Brisbane International after suffering a 'setback' in training
Thursday's match was just Venus Williams's seventh of the year and first since January's Australian Open, where she fell to Simona Halep in the round of 32.
WTA chief promises 'strong reactions' to ban on Russian, Belarusian players